a new, among the tourists rather unknown quarter of Hamburg whose quiet atmosphere is lovely.
"Following his visit to Hamburg in 1772, the English music historian Charles Burney observed: »The number of operas in Hamburg staged at the end of the last and the beginning of the present century is greater than in any other city in the German Empire«. At the time of writing, the opera house on Gänsemarkt, which was founded in 1678, was almost 100 years old and had experienced golden years, but also hard times. Baroque composer Georg Philipp Telemann (1681–1767), who served as church music director of Hamburg’s five Lutheran main churches for 46 years, as well as Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (1714–1788), who held the same office for another 20 years, played their part in praising God in music and in delighting their audiences. The young, wild Händel was also active in Hamburg (1703 -1706).
2015 saw the inauguration of the »Composers’ Quarter« on Peterstrasse in close proximity to St Michaelis Church. Created by a consortium of dedicated citizens and local initiatives, the quarter now serves as an unassuming place of remembrance for composers who were born in Hamburg (Brahms 1833-1897; s. Brahms Museum on the right) or played a major role in shaping the city’s music landscape. Rebuilt in historic style, the small terraced houses in the Neustadt district now bring local music history to life, with exhibits on Georg Philipp Telemann, Johann Adolf Hasse and C.P.E. Bach, Fanny and Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, as well as Johannes Brahms and Gustav Mahler."
For the rather light-hearted human beans among us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v74pXmgK0-c!
|exposure mode||full manual|